This is a simplification of some parts of the DOLCE Lite-Plus library (cf.http://www.ontologydesignpatterns.org/ont/dul/DLP397.owl). Main aspects in which DOLCE+DnS Ultralite departs from DOLCE Lite-Plus are the following:
- The names of classes and relations have been made more intuitive
- The DnS-related part is closer to the newer 'constructive DnS' ontology (http://www.ontologydesignpatterns.org/ont/dul/cDnS.owl).
- Temporal and spatial relations are simplified
- Qualities and regions are more relaxed than in DOLCE-Full: they can be used as attributes of any entity, although two axioms state that each quality has a region and viceversa
- Axiomatization makes use of simpler constructs than DOLCE Lite-Plus
- The architecture of the ontology is pattern-based, which means that DOLCE+DnS Ultralite is also available in modules, called 'content ontology design patterns', which can be applied independently in the design of domain ontologies (cf. http://www.ontologydesignpatterns.org). If many modules are needed in a same ontology project, it is anyway useful to use this integrated version.
The final result is a lightweight, easy-to-apply foundational ontology for modeling either physical or social contexts.
Several extensions of DOLCE+DnS Ultralite have been designed; see for example the extensions for information objects, for systems, for plans, for the legal domain, and for the lexical and semiotic domains; etc.
The DOLCE and DnS ontologies. OWL engineering by Aldo Gangemi.
Download location: http://www.ontologydesignpatterns.org/ont/dlp/DOLCE-Lite.owl